Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I Have To Confess!

Hi guys,
I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE…

I’ve never really had an opportunity to help people in need or ever made an attempt to create one. But when the right opportunity came my way, I was in for a shock. Shocked, not because of the people I encountered, but because of the chances I had lost all along to make a difference to the world.

However, in life, if you want to serve society….you actually need to be and are invariably selfish!

Confused!!!??? Am I contradicting myself now? No, not at all.

If you give it a deep thought, every person is selfish. Nobody is really selfless.

Let me give you an example, when somebody is out of your life for some reason, “you” miss them. Your words “I miss you” might make them happy. But the truth is that their absence makes ‘you’ unhappy. You put yourself first and then come the others, (applicable to life partners also). But now you don’t have to wriggle in guilt at this natural phenomenon. You just have to ponder about what makes you happy, that’s all.

Therefore, if I were to take this one step further and sincerely advocate that henceforth every human being needs to be selfish and think of his or her happiness only, would it make sense? Yes, it would, if it is to do with serving society in all genuineness.

For instance, when you offer emotional comfort or financial aid to a child who otherwise leads a vapid, impoverished life…what do you get in return? Well… you see an innocent, heartfelt and thankful smile on the child’s face, which would melt any rock! And you rejoice on such an angelic response.

My intention here, however, is not to reduce this benevolent deed to a mere Return On Investment equation. But I strive to point out that you are both the giver and the taker simultaneously. You share a smile and you get back a smile. It’s always a win-win.

A good Samaritan makes himself/herself happy by making others happy. To help oneself attain satisfaction and inner peace, one has to reach out to others. Hence being selfish is a selfless act in itself! Now isn’t that noble?!

So folks start being selfish! Sow the seeds for a better tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. am confused.
    am i reading priya's blog? Can any 1 confirm me pls?

    U changed a lot. i never thought u would write some thing like this.

    Agreed with u. Start being selfish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ganny,
    Thanks for reading and commenting.
    But am really not able to place you.

    May I know ur full name please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Priya!

    Nice blog. I agree with you in saying that we are selfish .. in fact I believe that's why we are born (and not liberated LOL). All we should probably learn to do is to be selfish the right way! That makes life so much easier.

    Have a great day!

    Nandini

    ReplyDelete